Sardias Vosburgh was born in Lackawana Township, Luzerne Co., Pa., in 1836. His father was Charles Vosburgh of New York, a son of Cornelius Vosburgh, who was born in the Empire State. He came to Illinois (north of Earlville) in 1854. His wife was Permelia Pulver. She died on the Earlville farm in 1877.
At the age of 19 Sardias came to Shabbona Township, where his father owned land. He rented his father’s land until 1867. The same year he invested in 120 acres of wild prairie land in Willow Creek, erected a commodious set of buildings, placed the land under fine cultivation, planted fruit and shade trees – and added more land. In 1881 he erected the first brick building in Lee.
He was married in 1864 to Miss Ellen Atherton, of Pa. Three children were born: William 1867, Fannie 1868 and Nellie 1870. Fannie is the wife of William Fleming.
In 1883, ’84 and ’85 Sardias was Supervisor of Willow Creek Township. In 1885 was elected assessor – re-elected in 1886 and ’87.
Source: Lee – Then and Now; Compiled by The Committee on History for the Lee Centennial Observance June13 – 16, 1974